Lead VFX Artist – Free Range GamesSeptember 27, 2022
Senior Engine / Rendering Engineer – Free Range GamesSeptember 27, 2022
Free Range Games grows games the old fashioned way: we don’t put our team in cages, we work distributedly, and we don’t use toxic work/life trade-offs. Some of our crafters have worked together from PS1 to PS5 and will tell you about carving games one triangle at a time from punch cards.
We are some of the folk behind Spider-man, Tony Hawk, Lord of the Rings, Twitch Sings, Oddworld, Shrek Super Slam, and dozens of mobile and web games. We believe every member of the team has a voice in what the game should be.
We prioritize community, family, and love-of-gaming over process, crunching, and TPS reports. And maybe that’s what you want too.
We’re looking for an experienced Technical Artist to act as a bridge between art and engineering on complex, AAA projects, and help take the look and feel of our games from great to utterly amazing.
- Find, build and support key technologies and workflows that enable artists and designers to quickly implement visual content into our games.
- Create materials and shaders with the graphics team
- Push the graphical limitations of our engine, maintain frame rate requirements, and deliver content within memory and disk footprint budgets.
- Act as a bridge between the visual, technical and design staff, demonstrating superior communication skills to facilitate collaboration.
- Keep up to date on modern trends in real-time rendering and art asset production, serving as a technical resource and consultant for the entire team.
- Serve as a Jack-of-all-Trades during the prototype phase to provide developers with placeholder visual assets.
- 5+ years experience as a technical artist (or equivalent capacity) in 3D games, simulators, or other high-performance real time systems. Experience with scripting, workflows, asset assemblies and asset management.
- Proven experience creating Mel and Python scripts to streamline content creation and level authoring processes
- Experience with real- time VFX, Houdini, and procedural asset creation.
- Experience with Substance and Quixel.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Free Range Games is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Free Range Games makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.